Friday, 29 August 2014

003 Wayne Rooney - New England Captain

New England Captain: Wayne Rooney

Today I heard it announced on one of my podcasts that Wayne Rooney has been made the new England captain after Gerrard has stepped down.

This is the wrong decision - if you want to develop English football that is. This is also the wrong decision if you want England to play fresh, inspiring and exciting soccer. It is true that Wayne Rooney is an icon in English football..... unfortunately though, from the previous era of world football.

A captain is a leader and a leader needs to have certain personality traits. And the captain of the England national team needs to have especially elite personality traits. It is these values if you like, that will inspire the people around him - sadly, hitting a beautiful volleyed goal from outside the box has only short-term leadership potentiality. It is not just about being a great football player. A captain's role is equally important off the pitch. To lead by example in one's daily life is probably more poignant than the number of goals you score on a Saturday or Sunday. As a private in the army you are less likely to do what your captain commands if you know that in his private life he drinks and gets drunk and beats his wife. So by what values does Wayne Rooney lead his life? I don't know. I have never met him, so I am reluctant to judge. The impression he gives from the TV though (newspapers and photos are even less reliable) is not good. Nasty (a potential bully), stupid, undisciplined and worst of all unimaginative.

Easy to criticize, I know, I'm sorry and would love to meet the man myself to be proved wrong. There's also the argument or question rather; if not Rooney then whom?

If England are going to change. If England are to play football like Germany, Spain or the Netherlands we have to do things differently. Rooney as captain was as predictable as the way we play. If we are unable to be guileful off the pitch where we have time, there is little chance that we can be so on it.  We have to me more radical and open-minded in our approach. The leaders of English football have to set down on paper their beliefs, dreams, ideas and philosophy and then they have to be brave enough to stick to it, irrespective of the stick they may get in the media. There ought to be more than one captain - ALL the players in the squad are leaders in one way, shape or form (they are by defintion, as players for England, leaders in their technical fields in any case), so they should all be given a chance. At present I don't believe that the role of captain on a soccer pitch is that vital anyway (though this too ought to change). I have never seen any great effect of any good captain on their team anyway, even in the German squads of today and the past. So, why not in one game make Lallana the captain. In another game make Cahill captain, then in a third maybe Wayne Rooney. At best it will confuse the opposition (whilst giving different players different experiences), at worst it will match the present status quo; ie no effect. What is important for the captain is that he is given a clear and concrete role (or set of objectives) for both on and off the field, for the short term (the next match) and the long term (qualification or tournaments). Taking the captain's armband means partly taking responsibility for the development of the team and this means learning and spreading that learning to his players. If the role of captain is just about turning up for training and the on day of the match and shouting some encouragement or criticism when his frustration gets the better of him, then I'm afraid that I've wasted the last half an hour writing this - we can all do that – shout and screaming I mean, and the question as to purpose of the captain and who the captain is, is at best simply honorary and at worst academic.Wayne Rooney - England Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment